March is a time dietitians and fellow rd2be’s hold dear – it’s National Nutrition Month! That’s right, nutrition gets a whole month dedicated to it (although if you aren’t hooked up with the field at all you probably wouldn’t know that, I know I didn’t until last year). Every year the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics (AND) puts out a theme for the month and this year it’s “Savor the Flavor of Eating Right“.
What does that mean? Well let me tell you: eat well and enjoy the natural flavors that are present in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, etc.!
From doing lots of promotion for this month, here are some fun tips to savor the flavor while eating right that you can take with you for the rest of the year:
- Use fresh herbs for a new twist on your healthy meal (think fresh rosemary, thyme, dill, etc.).
- If you can’t do fresh herbs you can always do dried herbs purchased in the spice aisle at the grocery store.
- Spices can also add a great punch to your meats and other foods – don’t be afraid of using them!
- Making your own super simple dressing can be both tasty and refreshing. Just mix 3 T oil with 1 T vinegar with a pinch of salt and pepper and you’re good to go.
- Find new ways to cook your veggies. Sick of steaming them? Try tossing them with some olive oil, some salt and pepper (or some other herbs and spices) and roast them.
- Fruit is bursting with sweetness. Instead of that cookie for dessert try having some pineapple or mango with chocolate chips sprinkled in!
- Citrus fruits like lemons and limes are awesome for adding brightness to your food – which is perfect for spring!
- Experiment, experiment, experiment. I can’t say this enough. But just playing around with different combinations of ingredients will lend itself to discovering new favorites!
- Don’t forget to try out the less traveled path when it comes to foods and how you’ll flavor them. You may unexpectedly find something delicious.
- Because we are savoring the flavor, don’t forget to take a moment and enjoy the smells and flavors as you eat your meals this month. Eating is an experience, and loving to eat is what makes it fun.
I hope you all have had an awesome month. Here’s to happily moving into the spring season!