Because, let’s face it, some of us have a gnarly sweet tooth that needs satiating.
Hello friends! I hope you had a wonderful weekend. It was gorgeous here in WNY, which was a wonderful change of pace. Unfortunately I worked all weekend so I didn’t get the chance to enjoy some sunshine and not-scorching-hot temperatures 😦 Oh the woes of a grad student. At least the it was nice for the golfers at the country club I work at!
Now how many of you have a sweet tooth? Don’t be shy to admit it, I’m certainly not. If I could be some childhood cartoon-puppet-thing (I guess Sesame St. characters are puppets?) I would be the Cookie Monster hands down. All of my friends know that if you want to make me happy, just give me a cookie and I’m set. I’m like a five year-old, I swear. Now this obsession also extends to chocolate-covered pretzels…whoops.
BUT let’s be honest, can I cave every time I want a chocolate chip cookie and buy one of the huge gourmet ones from Wegmans or Panera or Mrs. Fields? No, because not only is that expensive, but eating one every time I’m tempted would just be a recipe for disaster. So what do I do when that temptation strikes (it happens a lot, I’ll be honest)? Well today I’ve got some alternatives to satisfy your sweet tooth whether you’re craving that huge chocolate chip cookie or maybe it’s a slice of cake or something else!
1. Lara Bars – not only are they crazy delicious, but they come in so many flavors it’s awesome. Personally I love the Chocolate Chip Brownie and the Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip flavors. The BEST thing about Lara bars is that they’re made with good-for-you ingredients like puréed dates and nuts.
2. Quest Bars – I really don’t follow the high protein-low carb trend, but Quest bars are a delicious alternative to a regular cookie. Especially since they have a chocolate chip cookie dough flavored one! I tend to microwave them for about 10-15s to get them all gooey which makes them even better.
3. Fruit – is nature’s dessert, but don’t let that fool you into never eating fruit because it’s too high in sugar! Not only do some good mango chunks or raspberries satisfy the sweet tooth, but you’re also getting tons of nutrients that you wouldn’t get from eating a regular chocolate chip cookie. Bonus: I love adding a sprinkling of semi-sweet chocolate chips to my bowl for an added chocolatey twist. You could also have chocolate-dipped fruit too! Pineapples and strawberries are my favs.
4. Graham crackers topped with natural nut butter & chocolate chips – seriously though, you have to give this a try if you’re a pb/chocolate fan. I make this all the time to satisfy my cravings for chocolate chip cookies.
5. Trader Joe’s Cookie Butter/Nutella on anything – maybe I put a little bit too much cookie butter on that toast, but it’s still delicious! I highly recommend it if you’ve got a TJ’s in your area! Nutella is another alternative. Put it on fruit, on whole grain crackers, on anything. Just watch your portions!
6. Energy Bites – a new discovery for me, but one I’m in LOVE with. Take some oats, natural nut butter (I used pb here), and some trail mix (one with dried fruits, lots of nuts and seeds and chocolate chips), mix it all together really well, then roll into balls and place on a cookie sheet and stick in the fridge to set. YUM!
7. Cereal with chocolate chips – it’s bizarre, I know. And depending on what cereal you use it may not be the healthiest alternative (I tend to use Cinnamon Toast Crunch hehe), but if you watch your portions here it’s a good substitute to kick that craving. Not to mention you’re eliminating the trans fat that’s often found in bakery goods!
8. Frozen yogurt – I don’t like ice cream (sacreligious I know), but I don’t mind frozen yogurt as long as it’s fruity and really tart (I don’t do the creamy kind of flavors). Regardless, this is a great alternative to having some Ben & Jerry’s if you’re looking for one! Just don’t go overboard with all of the toppings because I know that’s what we all love hehe.
So I hope you’ll give one of these alternatives a try when you find yourself battling a sweet tooth! If you do, let me know in the comments below 🙂
I hope you have a great week friends! It’s supposed to be pretty mild here in WNY so I’m definitely not complaining 😀
Question of the week: what are YOUR favorite alternatives to sweets?
Image Credit: all are my own; check out my Instagram for more pictures like these!