Hey everybody! I hope the start of your week is kicking off with some FORCE! Yes, I went there. Forever the nerd, remember? In honor of all of us wanting to be Jedi or Sith (whose side are you on?) and have some awesome Force-wielding skills, I thought I’d talk about the importance of breakfast. Because, let’s face it, if we want to do some cool, mind-bending tricks we’re gonna need our energy for the day.
As you may (or may not) know, I’m all about convenience. See my previous post for details. Speed in the kitchen is vital, and you can bet in the morning I’d rather be catching every possible Zzzz I can instead of fussing over breakfast.
BUT breakfast is the most important meal of the day and there’s no way I’m going without it. Even if that means I need to let my stomach wake up and take my breakfast to go. Which, incidentally, is what I end up doing 4 days a week.
So it doesn’t matter if you’ve gotta grab something on the go – whatever you do don’t skip breakfast.
What does breakfast do for you, you wonder. Well I’ll tell you:
1. It revs up your metabolism and kick-starts your fuel burning machine. Because of this eating breakfast will help you achieve your weight loss goals. Bonus: you’ll be less likely to make unhealthy choices later when you’re starving.
2. Helps you achieve your fiber goals for the day. Within breakfast alone there are a variety of choices that are full of fiber (fruit, cereal, whole wheat toast). Fiber = happy digestive track!
3. Gives you the energy to concentrate on your morning tasks instead of drifting through them in a hunger-haze.
But [insert excuse for not eating it here]. Well let me tell you something, I’ve got a remedy for that.
1. Not enough time — grab something quick. You can pop a slice of toast in the toaster while you’re finishing getting ready, slap some peanut butter and sliced bananas (or any topping on it) right before you head out the door. You could even pre-slice the fruit if you wanted.
2. Need something portable — grab a smoothie. I know this is a juice, but the idea’s the same. Smoothies can pack a powerful punch if they’re done right. Make sure to include fruits, veg if you want, and maybe some almond milk! Best part? You can carry them with you on the way to school/work/etc. Granola bars are another great option (just check the labels).
3. My stomach is cranky in the AM (as is every part of me, but that’s another story) — so make something and take it to go. This kind of falls in with the portable aspect. I’m definitely not able to eat anything at 6AM, so I’ll pack up my breakfast and eat it when I get to school. You could also go for a very light option like eating just fruit or a slice of toast when you get up.
4. I hate breakfast food (Le gasp!) — there’s no explicit rule saying you have to stick to breakfast foods for breakfast. Eat some veggies, crackers and cheese, make a salad, the options are endless. As long as you fuel up with the right foods it doesn’t matter what you’re eating for breakfast!
So what did we learn here? Get yourself a complete breakfast with some carbs, fat, and protein to get you going and keep you full until snack (or lunch) time. Your body will thank you. Your brain will thank you. Trust me!